Athens Land Trust is an innovative and adaptive community and conservation land trust in Georgia. We look for team members who are creative, deeply committed to advancing equity, and excited about embracing an evolving set of responsibilities and opportunities as the organization grows.
Job Description: Young Urban Builders Coordinator
We are looking for a person with construction management experience who is interested in managing the rehabilitation of owner-occupied housing and the on-site construction training of young people. The Young Urban Builders Coordinator will work with the Young Urban Builders Program, a youth development program for at-risk Clarke County high school students, helping these students to gain construction job skills training and home repair skills.
- Demonstrated experience in construction management.
- Ability to work in an enthusiastic and encouraging way with young people who have not completed high school.
- Experience or interest in training young people in the building trades and a strong commitment to helping young people succeed in an innovative training program to promote leadership skills.
- Experience in supervising and training staff.
- Be able to work on construction management and with youth on-site training.
- Develop construction plan and schedule.
- Coordinate and monitor the progress and quality of work.
- Develop construction budget and monitor costs.
- Order supplies and materials.
- Provide oversight of the on-site construction training by ensuring that trainees get consistent and adequate skills training; helping to set standards for appropriate behavior and ways to handle problems on the construction site; and ensuring work-site safety, learning of safety procedures, and proper construction techniques.
- Keep the housing director informed of the progress, problems, and needs of the on-site construction work and training.
- Assist in the development of job opportunities for trainees, and where appropriate, help trainees set career goals.
- Assess potential construction sites.
- Support the leadership development and curriculum goals of the program through appropriate site activities and processes.
Additional Requirements Applicable To All ALT Employees
- Maintain regular in-office hours to answer email and phone inquiries, contribute to emerging projects, and coordinate with fellow staff, etc.
- Contribute to newsletters, monthly and annual reports, brochures and other educational materials as related to program(s) of primary responsibility as well as overall organization
- Assist with fundraising (including, but not limited to, grant applications, special events, and meeting with potential donors)
- Attend weekly staff meetings and prepare detailed timesheets
- Be part of a team—provide support for all staff members in their respective duties
Please note: salary is commensurate with experience.
To apply, please send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org
AmeriCorps VISTA Positions
We currently have no open positions for the AmeriCorps VISTA program. We will have several positions opening up throughout the year, so please check back soon! The AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) program partners us with VISTAs who help to build capacity in Athens Land Trust’s programs. The service terms are 1 full year, and these are full time positions. Please visit https://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/americorps-programs/americorps-vista to learn more about the AmeriCorps VISTA program.
For inquiries about upcoming VISTA position openings, please contact the Assistant Director and VISTA Supervisor, Monica Magee at email@example.com or call the Athens Land Trust office at 706-613-0122
Youth Employment Opportunities
Job Description: Young Conservation Stewards
The Young Conservation Stewards (YCS) is an employment and job skills training program for high school aged youth run through Athens Land Trust. YCS participants will learn important environmental skills, including plant identification, invasive plant removal methods, native plant installation and maintenance. They will also develop essential soft skills in public speaking, leadership, and community outreach, and may engage the public at venues including the ALT-run West Broad Farmers Market. Ideally, participation in the Young Conservation Stewards will lead to increased employ-ability and job placement post high school graduation. This is a part-time position lasting from August through December.
Young Conservation Stewards must:
- Commit to the program by showing up to work on time and coming prepared and dressed in proper attire
- Have a reliable mode of transportation to and from work sites
- Be prepared to work in a wide range of weather conditions.
- While no prior experience is required, the willingness and ability to work outside is.
685 North Pope Street, Athens, GA 30601