VISTA Outreach and Community Engagement Coordinator
The VISTA Outreach and Community Engagement Coordinator will work with all ALT programs to assess outreach needs and create individual (as well as an organizational) outreach and engagement plans.
Specific tasks include:
- Conduct a SWOT analysis of each program and the organization to evaluate specific needs and assets.
- Attend community events to gauge interest and participation with ALT programs
- Gather a working list of potential partner organizations and individuals.
- Research and design framework for ALT Market Ambassador program.
- Generate more awareness of all ALT programs through outreach and marketing.
- Draft and implement outreach and engagement plans.
Please note: This is an AmeriCorps VISTA position, and the dates of service will be 04/15/2019-04/14/2020. All service members work 40 hours/week. To learn more about the AmeriCorps VISTA program, and apply online, please visit: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=85547&fromSearch=true
For questions, please contact Kelsey Thompson at email@example.com
Youth Employment Opportunities
Job Description: Young Urban Farmers Program
Young Urban Farmers (YUF) will work alongside Athens Land Trust staff to support the West Broad Market Garden, West Broad Farmers Market and Williams Farm. Duties and responsibilities will include assisting Farm Managers with farm tasks, working at the farmers market, and participating in all educational activities and entrepreneurship workshops. All Young Urban Farmers will create and implement a business plan during the course of the program year. Priority is given to students who commit to participating in our entire school year, ending in May.
Young Urban Farmers must:
- Commit to the program for the entire semester based on the academic calendar.
- Have a reliable mode of transportation to and from the farms & education sites.
- Be prepared to work in a wide range of weather conditions. YUF participants are expected to attend all regularly scheduled program days. Participants are paid for the time they are present and engaged at the worksite, rounded to the nearest quarter hour.
To apply, please download an application and submit at the Athens Land Trust office:
685 North Pope Street, Athens, GA 30601
Job Description: Young Conservation Stewards Program
The Youth Conservation Stewards (YCS) is an employment and job skills training program for high school aged youth run through Athens Land Trust. YCS participants will learn important environmental skills, including plant identification, invasive plant removal methods, native plant installation and maintenance. They will also develop essential soft skills in public speaking, leadership, and community outreach, and may engage the public at venues including the ALT-run West Broad Farmers Market, where they will speak publicly about the importance of green spaces in our community and the ways that community members can contribute to improving them. Ideally, participation in the Youth Conservation Stewards will lead to increased employability and job placement post high school graduation.
Young Conservation Stewards must:
- Commit to the program by showing up to work on time and coming prepared and dressed in proper attire
- Have a reliable mode of transportation to and from work sites
- Be prepared to work in a wide range of weather conditions.
- While no prior experience is required, the willingness and ability to work outside is required.
Pay: Participants are paid for the time they are present and engaged at the worksite, rounded to the nearest quarter hour. Upon satisfactory performance of their duties and active participation in all activities and learning experiences, Youth Conservation Stewards will be paid a wage of $10.00/hour. Each Young Conservation Steward will be paid on a semi-weekly basis (every two weeks) by check.