The Young Urban Builders program was started in 2018 as a way to address youth unemployment and perform owner-occupied rehabilitation in the West Broad Neighborhood.
The program is designed to provide job training and experience while working on community projects and aiding in neighborhood revitalization.
YUB duties and responsibilities include:
- learning and practicing workplace and tool safety
- proper use and maintenance of tools
- developing strong work ethics and basic job skills
- reading blueprints and interpreting written instructions
- using measurement tools and applied mathematics
YUB students are involved at all stages in the rehabilitation process to allow for a variety of skills to be developed.
Students must be 16 years of age or older.
Homeowners in the West Broad neighborhood that are interested in repairs, can complete a home survey and return it to the Athens Land Trust office.
Students ages 16-21 who are interested in becoming a YUB student, can complete an application and return it to Lawrence Jones at the Athens Land Trust office.